Security News & Tips
Tips from ESP Security: How to Choose a Burglar Alarm & Secure Your Home
Investing in your home security by fitting a burrglar alarm system will help secure your home and offer you peace of mind. With so many burglar alarms available it can be hard to decide which is right for you.
Here’s our guide to burglar alarms and what to consider.
Why should I have an alarm fitted?
There are many benefits of fitting an alarm including:
- Peace of mind that you are security protected
- Prevention – having an alarm is an effective deterrent to potential thieves
- An alarm when set off will give an immediate alert that a burglary is taking place
- Rapid response – an alarm will alert a monitoring centre immediately
- An alarm combined with CCTV offers a powerful security system
- Instant remote access and monitoring for home o
- Insurance premiums can be cheaper or discounted when an alarm system is installed
Selecting the right Burglar Alarm Installer Company
You should limit your search to PSA (Public Service Authority) licensed installers such as ESP Security to set up your alarm system. This will ensure that you contract a company like ours which has passed security checks and is properly certified.
You then have to choose the right alarm system for your requirements. There are a number of options. A good place to start is by ensuring the alarm system being fitted complies to European Standard ISEN 50131 — this may also get you an extra discount on your home insurance premium. All Burglar Alarms fitted by ESP Security adere to the European standard.
Check company reviews
Check out an alarm company’s reviews so you can get a feel for the quality of their products and services. Read our customer reviews
What alarm should I choose?
Choose an alarm with the latest technology and with remote and control access. Alarm systems can be a wired alarm with cables or a wireless alarm with no cables. ESP Security supplies both wired and wireless, and our alarm systems can be monitored remotely.
There are four main types of intruder alarm to choose from:
- Bells-only alarms – these make an audible sound when activated, but do not contact anyone.
- Dialler burglar alarms – these automatically call nominated phone numbers when activated.
- Monitored intruder alarms – these are alarms connected to a response centre or the Gaurds.
- Smart home security systems – these are fully connected systems that alert you via an app in real time when a sensor detects movement in your property. These systems can also integrate with other devices, such as CCTV cameras, fire alarms, lighting etc
Should I install CCTV with an alarm system?
For added extra security, we would recommend that you have a CCTV system and CCTV cameras installed with your alarm system, and we can install both at the same time, or upgrade your existing CCTV or alarm system with the latest products and technology.
Having this powerful security combination means that you can monitor your premises anywhere via PC, tablet or your mobile phone, and capture video footage of any incidents that can be used as evidence. CCTV, alarm systems or both act as an effective deterrent to thieves and burglars.
Do I need to maintain an alarm system?
If there is problem or fault with your alarm system, this may have an impact on an insurance payout in the event of a burglary. We recommend regular maintenance of your alarm system, i.e. annually in order to keep your alarm system regularly maintained and working at its optimum performance levels. We provide support and maintenance plans to ensure that you receive the highest quality maintenance for your alarm investment. With monitored alarms, maintenance is important to ensure that there are no false alarms and call-outs..
Whatever type of intruder alarm you will choose, it is essential to make sure this solution has some of the following features:
- alarm monitoring – it allows constant control over your property via remote video on your mobile device or desktop computer.
- energy management – some modern alarm systems allow saving money on bills by controlling and adjusting thermostat or light settings remotely.
- carbon monoxide detectors – your home burglar alarm system can do more than protect your from burglars, so, quite a few intruder alarms are equipped with such sensors.
Further Home Security Tips
Property owners should also focus on securing windows and doors. Modern windows will often come with built-in security features such as fasteners and mortise locks. Property owners can add further security features such as ventilation locks, stay bolts or key-operated window locks.
For doors, the simplest option is to fit a door bolt — either a slide or key-operated unit will work well. Security chains and viewers are also recommended.
Exterior lighting with motion detector switches can help, as can prickly hedges around doors and windows, and gravel driveways. If leaving your home empty, ensure that you put lights on timers and that a neighbour removes your post from view.
Choosing the best home alarm system can be confusing, but ESP Security have almost 30 years experience in Home Security and are here to help you decide on an alarm that’s best for you.
We understand every home is individual and many factors will influence your burglar alarm choice. Contact the ESP Security team and let us help you decide on how to choose to protect your home today.
Contact ESP Security today for more information and a quote