Security News & Tips
Security System Installation: Professional vs. DIY
As the DIY trend grows, many homeowners are considering switching to self-monitoring their homes rather than professional, monitored home security. The reasons look good on paper; no monthly fees, simple and flexible equipment installation, a direct connection to their smart phone when alarms occur, etc. But self-monitored systems have their shortcomings. Consumers should know the reasons monitored home security is a sound investment to protect their home and belongings so they can make an educated decision:
- Equipment is installed by a security professional like ESP Security who provide services in Dublin, Louth, Wicklow and Kildare, knows the best practices for placing surveillance cameras, door/window sensors, motion detectors and more. This placement can make a huge difference in the effectiveness and operation of the security device.
- Professional alarm dealers often offer great installation deals when services are contracted, which saves consumers both money and time. Some companies even offer security devices at a low charge with a contract for monitoring.
- The property is monitored 24/7 by trained professionals who can send emergency response. Self-monitored alarm systems, such as DIY devices which send a text message when triggered, can go unobserved if the receiver is in a meeting, on a plane, or somewhere away from their phone.
- Professionally monitored properties are given more leverage by emergency personnel for immediate response. False alarms have been an ongoing problem for home security; alarms triggered by wind, animals, and other non-threatening activities keep emergency responders from handling true crises. Because the monitoring station can verify the alarm by checking cameras and sensors, their alarm report will be given higher priority over a non-monitored one.
- Monitored security is considered favorable by home insurance companies, who may offer a policy discount on properties with a monitored home security system.
- Monitored home security offers another layer of deterrent to criminals. Sometimes just seeing a security company sign on the lawn or porch is enough to make a would-be thief look elsewhere. An unprotected home is an easier target.
Professional Alarm Installation
The best part of professional alarm installation is that you get to sit back and relax while your system is installed for you. Typically, when you call to order your security system, you’ll nail down a time that will work for you and a professional installer, so you can be home while the system is being installed. Depending on where you live, some companies can come to your home the same day you call, so your waiting time is minimal.
Another reason to choose professional alarm installation is that you benefit from a professional’s experience. An installer can make sure your equipment is set up correctly, walk you through the ins and outs of your system, and make suggestions for how to best secure your home.
- No Work For YouYou can just sit back and relax while someone installs your home security system. You won’t need to worry about if you did it wrong or spend time listening to automated directions or reading a pamphlet. You’ll need to clear time to be home during the install, but you can get other things done during this time and leave the work up to the professional.
- Professional expertiseIf you go it alone with DIY, there’s a chance you might miss something. This could cost you a lot more time and effort or worse, cause you to suffer an undetected break-in. Plus, if a professional technician comes out to install your system, you’ll be able to take advantage of his/her knowledge. Get the most for your money by asking him/her to walk you through your system, its functions, and how to operate it. That way, you can experience success from day one.
- Possible DiscountsIf you pay for a professional alarm installation, companies might include cost-saving incentives. This is subject to availability, but look out for promotions that will give you more equipment or package upgrades if you pay for an installation.
Contact ESP Security today for more information or call on 01 8391188