Security News & Tips
Operation Thor’s Lock Up Light Up campaign 2016
Since Operation Thor was launched on 2nd November 2015 domestic burglaries have fallen nationally.
However as we approach the winter months householders need to be vigilant as traditionally burglaries rise in winter time.
- In winter, residential burglaries increase by 23%.
- Over 45% of residential burglaries in winter occur between 5pm and 11pm.
- In 19% of burglaries, entry is through an unsecured door or window.
- Jewellery and cash are the most common objects stolen during burglaries.
- The typical value stolen per incident in the last twelve months is €600.
- There were over 160 cases where car keys were “fished” through the letterbox in the past year.
- More incidents reported by an alarm activation were detected than not detected.
Whether you are at home or going out, remember to turn on some lights, use timer switches, lock all doors and windows, use a burglar alarm, store keys away from windows and letter boxes and don’t store large amounts of cash or jewellery in the house.
Burglars like easy opportunities. If they have to make a lot of noise, spend a lot of time or risk being seen, the chances are they won’t bother. A good rule of thumb is the 3 minute delay test. If you can deny entry for 3 minutes or more – chances are the burglars will go elsewhere. Complete this simple home security survey to determine how well your home is secured against burglary. Ignore questions not relevant to your own home. Remember, every NO answer is a threat to your home security.
Click the security check list to download
Contact ESP Security today for more information and a quote