Security News & Tips
Home Burglary Prevention Tips from ESP Security
ESP Security would like to remind residents of tips they can use to reduce becoming a victim of a burglary to your home.
Protect Your Residence While You Are Away
If you are away from home for an extended period of time, check out the following tips to help protect your home:
- Ensure that all the locks for your doors and windows are in good working order well in advance of your planned trip.
- Look into using timers for your lights, television or radio to give the impression that someone is home. Set the timers up in different rooms and at different times to create the illusion that your residence is still occupied.
- Do not let newspapers or post pile up while you are away. Place a hold on these items or have someone collect them for you while you are away.
- Before you leave, check and make sure all your doors and windows are locked before you head out the door.
- If you will be gone for an extended period of time, make arrangements to have your lawn cut while you are gone in the spring, summer or Autumn.
- If possible, have someone you trust check in on your residence while you are away.
- Electronic equipment (computers, digital cameras, video game systems, etc…) are a common target for criminals. Consider taking these items with you while you are away from your residence.
- About all else – do not forget to set your burglar alarm system.
Burglary Prevention Tips While At Home
Many cases involve the criminal going from house to house looking for unlocked doors or windows. Often the criminal will knock on the door of a residence to see if anyone is home. If someone answers they will ask for a person, pretending as if they have come to the wrong residence. In order to make you and your home less of a target, please keep in mind the following :
- Keep all doors and windows locked, even if you are at home, will only be gone a short time or are “just going next door.”
- Make sure all locks are functioning properly.
- Never allow someone you don’t know into your residence. If someone comes to your door needing assistance, offer to make a call for them, while they wait outside.
- Keep valuable items out of sight of passers-by.
- Keep a list of your valuables, including the serial numbers and unique characteristics. If a burglary does occur having this information can greatly help in the investigation and recovery process.
- Be alert to persons going from house to house, looking in windows or knocking on doors. Report suspicious persons to the Gardai. Make note of the person’s physical description, clothing, tattoos or other distinguishing characteristics and give that information to the guards.
- Keep all entrances to your residence well lit and maintain landscaping to prevent hiding places.
- Don’t advertise the property you have recently purchased or received as a gift.
- Set your burglar alarm even when at home especially during the winter months.
Contact ESP Security today for more information and a quote for your burglar alarm system